Making its world debut at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show, the new Mazda CX-30 is the second model in the company’s next-generation line-up. The compact SUV encapsulates the Mazda ownership experience, combining uniquely elegant Kodo styling with human-centric interior design and Jinba Ittai driving pleasure of unprecedented quality. 4,395 mm long, 1,795 mm wide, 1,540 mm high and with a 2,655 mm wheelbase, the Mazda CX-30 enters a new market segment for Mazda. Positioned between the CX-3 and the long-established and popular CX-5, it fulfils the requirements of customers who wish to combine the compact, urban-friendly dimensions of the former with the space and practicality of the latter.
The new Mazda CX-30 showcases a more mature Kodo design language which retains vitality but now targets greater styling prestige through the elegance and purity of a minimalist aesthetic inspired by the purest traditions of Japanese art and the beauty of space between objects .
The human-centric interior design combines a snug, focused driver’s cockpit area with a clean, airy and open cabin space for passengers. Newly developed technologies such as 8-speaker Mazda or 12-speaker Bose® audio systems have been carefully integrated with premium materials and painstaking fit and finish to create an interior ambience of high quality and genuine refinement.
The new compact SUV features Mazda’s new-generation Skyactiv-Vehicle Architecture, which harnesses people’s inherent balance ability. In conjunction with smart technologies such as an evolved i-Activ all-wheel-drive (AWD) system which works in harmony with G-Vectoring Control (GVC) to control torque distribution between the front and rear wheels, this promotes an even more engaging Jinba Ittai driving experience.
The powertrain line-up showcases the latest Skyactiv engines, including the company’s revolutionary Spark Plug Controlled Compression Ignition (SPCCI) technology, which adopts a unique combustion method to combine the free-revving performance of a petrol engine with the superior response of a diesel.
Lastly, the Mazda CX-30’s comprehensive suite of i-Activsense active safety features now includes a newly added Driver Monitoring system, equipping the compact SUV with a further evolved capacity to provide all occupants with a safe, secure and enjoyable driving experience.
Since its introduction in 2010, Mazda’s Kodo – Soul of Motion design has been a driving force in enhancing the brand’s global value, and Mazda has now made this philosophy deeper and more sophisticated to raise car design to the level of fine art.
The goal for this evolution of Kodo design is to express a new form of elegance inspired by and rooted in traditional Japanese aesthetics. The Mazda Vision Coupe concept model introduced in 2017 embodied this design language through finely honed, minimalist styling: its elegantly restrained body form generated a delicate play of light and reflections that change over time to create styling with a natural, dynamic feel.
The new Mazda CX-30 is the second production model to adopt this latest evolution of the Kodo design philosophy. The honing every element according to the ‘less is more’ principle has created unprecedentedly clean, beautiful surfaces and brought an entirely original form to the compact crossover SUV segment.
Informed by the ‘Sleek and Bold’ design concept, the exterior styling exudes supple, flowing beauty and the toughness of an SUV. On board, the highly refined, premium quality interior combines a comfortably snug, highly focused driver’s cockpit with an airy, spacious cabin atmosphere, enabling all occupants to enjoy a feeling of connection in a relaxed, comfortable environment.
Painstaking attention has been paid to every detail, from choice of materials to improved fit and finish, to create a genuinely refined, premium quality interior space.
- With ‘Sleek and Bold’ as its design concept, the Mazda CX-30’s styling simultaneously realizes two contradictory elements: the flowing beauty of a coupe and the bold toughness of an SUV.
- The lower body features arresting black cladding to create the sleekly flowing proportions of a coupe. At the same time, the cladding gives an impression of stability and power appropriate to an SUV.
- The styling is derived from a new design language ‘Charge and Release’, which stems from the brushwork used in Japanese calligraphy. It integrates the three key tenets of the evolved Kodo design language – Yohaku, the beauty of empty space; Sori, curves with poise and balance; and Utsuroi, the play of light and shade.
- Sori is clearly embodied in the arc of the shoulder running from the front fender to the rear wheel, giving a sense of speed and vitality. Utsuroi may be seen in the body surfaces beneath the shoulder line, which reflect the surroundings in an S shape that changes as the car moves. These expressions of body form finally come together in a single undulation at the rear where they diffuse.
- By eschewing character lines in favour of the movement of surfaces, the Mazda CX-30 achieves styling with both the beauty of a work of art and a powerful sense of dynamism.
- The rear fenders stand proud from the inward-tapering rear cabin and the tailgate has a correspondingly narrowed arch shape. In combination, this creates a sensuously powerful rear form with the wide, dynamic stance of a sports car.
- The front styling has an elegant, yet bold personality. Mazda’s signature wing is given a sharper and deeper form that combines with the solid, sculpted contours of the front bumper to achieve a powerful suggestion of forward motion. The size and pattern of the radiator grille’s triangular motif are tightly controlled to show rich variations according to the viewing angle and variations in light.
- The headlamps and rear combination lamps are both elegant and functional, featuring an LED array that emphasizes the lamps’ elaborate cylindrical shape.
- The LED turn signals have a new, distinctive light signature that starts at full power and then fades in sequential pulses.
- Nine body colours are available, including the Mazda-unique colours Soul Red Crystal, Machine Grey, and Polymetal Grey.
- The design of the Mazda CX-30’s cabin is based on Mazda’s human-centred design philosophy, and traditional Japanese architecture with its use of Ma, or empty space.
- In accordance with the ‘Sleek and Bold’ overall design concept, the Mazda CX-30’s interior achieves both flowing elegance and beauty, allied with the bold, do-everything attitude of an SUV.
- Great attention has been paid to every detail, from choice of materials to improved fit and finish, to create a genuinely refined, top-quality interior space.
- The basic structure combines a snug and condensed cockpit area for the driver, and a clean, airy open space around the front passenger.
- The cockpit is symmetrical and firmly centred on the driver, with all three meters in the meter cluster and the centre display correctly angled towards the driving position.
- The upper area of the dashboard features a secondary, wing-shaped hood. Running horizontally from the top of the meter hood into the door trim on the passenger side and finished with high quality stitching, it generates an airy atmosphere, giving the cockpit a more expansive feel.
- A wide floor console groups the gear lever, cup holders and commander control forward in a ‘control area’ close to the driver for convenient, ergonomically excellent operation.
- The gear lever panel features an evolved version of Mazda’s ‘two-layer moulding’ technology first introduced in the All-New Mazda3. Light striking the deep smoke-grey panel reveals a metallic pattern engraved in the base layer to reinforce the fine detailing and premium quality of the interior.
- The new Mazda CX-30 comes with a choice of two distinctive interior colour schemes – either chic, mature Dark Brown or tasteful, modern Dark Blue accents.
- The Dark Brown scheme is available in Black or Pure White genuine leather. Perforations in the Black leather upholstery reveal a refined, brown interior liner. The Dark Blue scheme features fabric or leatherette upholstery, both offered in Greige or Black.
- Mazda’s human-centred development has resulted in a notably well packaged and versatile interior. The new compact crossover SUV features a cabin that accommodates all passengers in relaxed comfort even on the longest drives, while the luggage space offers the effortless practicality and high load capacity to satisfy all lifestyle requirements.
- The driver’s environment benefits from the application of the most advanced knowledge and technologies during the development of the driving position and Human-Machine Interface (HMI).
EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
- The Mazda CX-30 compact SUV enters a new market segment for Mazda. Positioned between the CX-3 and the long-established and popular CX-5, it fulfils the requirements of customers who wish to combine the compact, urban-friendly dimensions of the former with the space and practicality of the latter.
- Though sufficiently compact to offer excellent urban manoeuvrability, the new Mazda CX-30 combines easy access with a spacious, versatile cabin and large luggage compartment.
- The wide spacing of the front seats allows for a wide floor console with a refined layout and a large centre armrest.
- Equally spacious rear seat separation facilitates wide rear centre armrest and door armrests, allowing rear seat occupants to enjoy a comfortable, relaxed seating posture.
- The generous distance between front and rear seat hip points and a low rear seat hip-point height create ample knee and headroom, enabling taller passengers to occupy the rear seats in comfort.
- The wide spacing of the seats, both fore-aft and laterally, makes it easier for people in the front to turn and face people in the rear. At the same time, rear occupants can see front occupants’ faces in profile with minimal effort. The result is an interior space that enhances communication between all cabin occupants.
|Overall length||4,395 mm|
|Overall width||1,795 mm|
|Overall height at roof panel||1,540 mm|
|Front overhang||915 mm|
|Rear overhang||825 mm|
- Luggage capacity is a capacious 430L, enough to simultaneously accommodate a large, global-standard baby buggy and a carry-on bag. Lift gate opening width is 1,020mm, while the height of the loading lip is just 731mm, for easy loading and unloading of heavy or bulky cargo.
- Through the use of non-woven fabric on the side trim and a simplified wall structure, the luggage compartment has a clean, refined appearance.
- An optional power-operated tailgate features one-touch opening and closing. The gears and housing of its damper unit are made of resin for quieter operation.
ENTRY AND EXIT
- Despite an SUV-appropriate ground clearance, a low seat hip-point height makes for easy entry and exit from the Mazda CX-30.
- In addition to the generous distance between the front and rear seats and the low rear floor height, the shapes of seat cushions and B-pillars have been optimized to accommodate the movement of passengers during entry and exit. These measures enable even heavily built rear passengers to get in and out in a smooth fashion.
- The telescopic steering now offers a total travel of 70mm to deliver precise control over the driving position. In addition, front seat cushion tilt adjustment is fitted as standard to help prevent the occupant’s thighs floating above the cushion (seat angle too low) or placing undue pressure on the thighs (seat angle too high).
- The high, forward positioning of the gear shift lever on both automatic and manual transmission versions makes the moving of the driver’s hand from the steering wheel to the shift lever easier and faster.
- This positioning of the commander control and cup holder, and the long centre armrest further enhance operating stability, ease and comfort.